I spend a small part of every day moderating comments. I prefer moderating to not moderating, and I don't like anonymous comments. These are the rules, such as they are. But if you've ever submitted a comment and wondered why it hasn't turned up, it may be due to any one of these reasons:
1. I made a mistake. I do this from time to time, pressing the wrong button and so on. Don't take it personally, I promise I try to approve as many comments as I can.
2. I was a bit grumpy that day. This can happen as well. I get in bad moods and do tend to disregard the rest of humanity as being essentially worthless. This is wrong of me. It doesn't happen often, and I'm sorry when it does.
3. You said something I thought might be possibly defamatory. Since I choose to have moderation up, I'm responsible for the content of comments. I may just be being careful or oversensitive. It would be a bit daft to take the piss out of newspapers libelling people, and then end up doing it myself.
4. You wrote too much. No epics, please. A general rule: if it's longer than my actual post, you've overstretched a little bit.
5. I am busy doing something else. I don't always get around to moderating comments all the time. Please be patient and I'll get around to it.
6. You're a fucking troll. I say 'fucking troll' because that's the right way to put it. Bugger off to HYS or CiF if you want to bother other people and annoy them all day. I don't have the time for it or to get involved in lengthy discussions.
7. You're making the same bloody point again and again. To which you could understandably reply: But that's what you're doing on this blog. To which I would equally understandably reply: But this is my blog.
8. You're a spamming bastard. In which case I'll piss through your letterbox tonight, see how you like it.
9. It's been two years since I wrote that article. Time has passed, and I can't really see the point in putting new comments up on it.
10. You're being a martyr about the whole thing. I rejected something you wrote once and you decided to end every subsequent comment with "I bet you don't approve this" - again, fuck off to HYS or CiF if you want to play those infantile games. Even if you write the most brilliant comment in the world and say "I bet you don't approve this" at the end of it, I won't approve it, just to piss you off, because you did that.
However, please bear in mind:
I love each and every one of you. Even when I disagree with you. I may not always have time to enter into a debate but I do appreciate all the comments that are left.
- A change in the Mail’s comments policy?
- Towards a sensible comments policy, and why the BBC’s HYS bollocks might be the least worst option
- No comments yet…
- How BNP bastards target newspaper comments
- We’re not into censoring comments, except for when we get made to look like twats, and then it’s quite vital